Monday, March 4, 2013

Paying for a Brand

The Ranch Dressing you choose is actually quite important. Last night, I went big and spent the extra bucks for Hidden Valley Ranch because I wasn't going to make the same mistake again. Like many of you, I have a history of shopping really thrifty (like Macklemore); I try to buy the cheapest items in order to save money. But the "Great Ranch Dressing Fiasco of 2012" made me think differently. Sometimes, brand-name items are actually better than their generic counterparts (Great Value, Valu Time, Safeway, Savemart, etc.). What was this dressing fiasco, you may ask? Well, I'll tell you.

There's not much to it, other than that I bought a cheap generic version of ranch dressing, and thought I was getting a great deal (it was about $3 cheaper than most other choices). Well, when I opened it to enjoy some carrots and ranch, I learned why it was cheaper: it was rancid! Probably the most foul thing I tasted that was supposed to be fresh. Well, since then I've stayed name-brand on Ranch dressing.

Other things that I stay name-brand on: Hershey's Syrup, Jif peanut butter, Ritz crackers, and I think that's it so far. Cool huh?

P.S. I learned through my job as a medical assistant that the generic versions of medications are NOT exactly the same as the name brands, even though they claim many of the same ingredients or active components. For example, with eye medications, the name brand Lastacaft is proven to relieve itching for 24 hours, while the generic wasn't tested to last nearly as long. Interesting; now I don't know what to believe anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I think Oreos could go one the list too. I was thinking about how expensive gas is and how nice it would be to get a generic brand gasoline. But I realized that's kind of what costco gas is. It's not as cheap as I'd like it even though it's the best deal in town.

    ReplyDelete